The 2022 WMRT season will comprise two levels of events – ‘World Tour’ events and ‘World Championship’ events. All events will be organised under World Sailing rules as ‘Open’ match racing events allowing both men and women teams, as well as mixed teams to enter. The ‘World Championship’ level events will award higher points and prize money of at least USD75,000.
Championship format – updated 11 April 2022
- – The 2022 Match Racing World Championship will be awarded to the winner of the WMRT Final/ Shenzhen Bao’an Match Cup in China, 6-11 December. The prize purse for the event will be US$200,000 as advertised.
- – 16 skippers will be invited to the WMRT Final as follows;
- – The top 5 placed skippers from the 2022 Congressional Cup
- – The next 7 placed skippers from the WMRT leader-board counting a skipper’s best 4 results/points from the WMRT schedule of events prior to the WMRT Final
- – Up to 4 wild card invitations to be selected by WMRT/OA no later than 1 October 2022
- – The following rules will apply for any series-score ties;
- – If there is a series-score tie between two or more skippers, each skipper’s race scores shall be listed in order of best to worst, and at the first point(s) where there is a difference the tie shall be broken in favour of the skipper with the best score(s). No excluded scores shall be used.
- – If a tie remains between two or more skippers, they shall be ranked in order of their scores in the last race. Any remaining ties shall be broken by using the tied skippers’ scores in the next-to-last race and so on until all ties are broken. These scores shall be used even if some of them are excluded scores.